Saturday, June 7, 2008

Liking the Roughness

Morning Muay Thai class was excellent today. We worked on slipping the oncoming jab and answering back with the cross hook combination. Alternately, we slipped the oncoming cross and answered back with the hook cross combination. We also did that with bobbing and weaving. I paired up with Todd. He doesn't mess around. He'll fake you out and then come at you with the jab, and if you don't slip it you get nailed. So you really have to be on your game. And I was for the most part. Mainly I just didn't want to get my lip split open again. I'm still recovering from that. We conditioned with sit-ups between rounds. We also did a round of bear-crawls and push-ups. I'm a weakling when it comes to arm strength. I kept hearing Rob from the sidelines telling me to bend my elbows and actually do the push-ups the correct way. Ok, ok, I will. I will.

An hour and a half of jujitsu class after Muay Thai. We worked further on the knee-on-belly position. This stuff takes a ton of practice. Over and over and over again. I drilled with another guy named Todd, who was riding my kidneys so hard whenever I tried to get to my side. It felt like a torturous massage.

Three and a half mile run after class at the gym. I need to get some more miles in to really be ready for the Wasatch Back. (Lydia-I'm so happy that you and Mike are participating in that. What's your teams name? We are the Nelson Lab Staph. And I am runner #3. I probably won't see you since I am in van #1. Good luck to both of you!). I also need to run outside some more. It just seems like it's always raining or cold. I definitely am a fair weather runner.

I have an entire dresser devoted to just workout clothes. One drawer is entirely underwear. Another is all sports bras. The one under that is stuffed with only socks. Then there's a shorts drawer, a sweat pants drawer, a tank top drawer, T-shirt drawer, and long sleeved mointure-wicking shirt drawer. Plenty of options to work out in, right? Wrong! I run out of workout clothes constantly. I wear a set in the morning when I run. Then there's a set to do Muay Thai in. And then after Muay Thai I change my sweaty bra and underwear and shirt again before I get in my gi. I can't keep up on all this laundry! It seems like I'm running loads every other day. It's a beautiful thing that I own my own washer and dryer. If not, I'd be the smelliest kid in town!

2 comments:

MMA BLASTER said...

Hey Vanessa, thanks for the comment! I wrestled in highschool, little bit in college, and started BJJ a little while back.

I don't really think I want to fight, but I like watching it.

The Picketts said...

so - i'm inspired! I fell off the triatholon training schedule during my little "vacation" season - but you seriously motivate me! I'm kicking it into high gear TOMORROW and hoping to get my trash kicked (as well as some of this unwanted - still-to-lose-baby-fat that has TOTALLY overstayed its welcome!)Do me a favor please and check up on me!!!